October 09, 2023
2484 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2686 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Argent: The Neutrally Balanced Arrangement of Business

More
16 Aug 2015 17:05 - 16 Aug 2015 17:07 #208648 by Gary Sax
Couldn't help it. Name is so stupid.

Decided to split out the Argent thread from a Barnestorming thread. Just got the game and read through the rules---first impression is that the game is dead fucking simple but the rules are like 30 pages long, which is actually the kind of AT game that I think works best. Super excited to play. Does mean that the game has that "30 cards on the table that say unique things" quality that's a real turnoff for non-hardcore types.

Also, what the fuck kind of dumbshit insert is in this game? It fits like none of the unbowed components but fits boxed components perfectly...?

Anyway, wanted a discussion thread for the game: any strategy tips? First game advice?
Last edit: 16 Aug 2015 17:07 by Gary Sax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2015 18:23 #208652 by Michael Barnes
The title should have been Argent University or just Argent. I don't know what they were thinking on that.

The rules are really simple, the chrome-y stuff adds some bulk but it's all totally logical- once you know what the shadow spaces are in terms of the narrative, everything that affects them makes sense. There's no doubt about the amount of text/Euroglyphics on the table...but after a couple of games they're easy enough.

Do use the starter setups- they help with the first game learning curve by keeping effects/abilities straightforward. Use A sides of everything until you are comfortable with the system.

Strategy-wise, what I had to contend with was players not understanding how aggro this game is compared to virtually all other WP designs. You're never safe, and you have to be able to adapt to having your dudes zapped out of their slots. Also keep in mind the order that the rooms resolve- like in other WP games (Caylus for example), that order often sets up some routes to consider for per-turn strategies.

Also, selecting your initial mages is a big deal. Because they will determine which abilities you can use during the placement stage. Don't take any red guys, you can't blast somebody out of a spot unless you have a spell or other effect.

LOTS to explore.

More
16 Aug 2015 20:04 #208662 by Josh Look
I'll also suggest using the starter setups. This isn't one of those cases in which you'll feel like you're missing out on some bigger thing the game is capable of doing.

More
16 Aug 2015 20:06 #208664 by Josh Look

Michael Barnes wrote: The title should have been Harry Potter: Welcome to Hogwarts. I don't know what they were thinking on that.

Fixed that for you.

Also, you guys should play Pixel Tactics, another game by these guys. OUTSTANDING little card game. $10 or so on Amazon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Aug 2015 01:23 #208671 by Frohike
Also very heavy on unique card text.

More
17 Aug 2015 14:16 #208686 by airmarkus
Is it worth getting the expansions with the base game, or is it really just more of the same that you won't need unless you've played the game a ton and need some variety?

More
17 Aug 2015 14:52 #208688 by Dan Thurot

airmarkus wrote: Is it worth getting the expansions with the base game, or is it really just more of the same that you won't need unless you've played the game a ton and need some variety?

For me, the main perk of the expansion is the orange mage. When placed, they let you gain research, so if you're struggling to get enough research on your spell cards — which really comes down to what sort of university you're playing with — then this can be a boon. Otherwise, the expansion mostly just pumps up the player count to six and adds more to each of the game decks.

I'm stoked that so many people here are getting into Argent. It was my game of the year for 2014.
The following user(s) said Thank You: airmarkus

More
17 Aug 2015 14:54 - 17 Aug 2015 17:53 #208689 by Gary Sax
From my read of the rules, you probably shouldn't play with 6 anyway.

I got the expansion and it is certainly not necessary. But from a philosophy of game perspective, it's fun---the whole point of the base game is "here's your totally unique university, end game goal, and player setup. Go to town." Adding more strange kit to that toolbox isn't a bad thing, but it's hardly vital.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2015 17:53 by Gary Sax.

More
17 Aug 2015 15:25 #208690 by san il defanso
Y'all buttheads make me want to buy this game now. I hope you're happy.

More
17 Aug 2015 15:37 #208693 by airmarkus

San Il Defanso wrote: Y'all buttheads make me want to buy this game now. I hope you're happy.

I'm with you man. When I was at the Dice Tower con this year this guy was raving about the game so I looked into it and thought I'd get it. I had kind of forgotten about it since, but now I'm back to trying to resist the "must have it" compulsion. I don't think my odds of success are very high.

More
17 Aug 2015 17:53 #208702 by Gary Sax
Don't construe me as saying "go buy this!" I haven't played the fucking thing yet... soon hopefully.

More
17 Aug 2015 18:27 #208705 by Michael Barnes
Part of the appeal of the game is the faux-Hogwarts' setting, so anything that enhances that is a benefit. I still haven't played with the expansion stuff, but looking it over it's the kind of thing that isn't essential...but you will want it.

More
17 Aug 2015 18:35 #208706 by ubarose

Michael Barnes wrote: Don't take any red guys, you can't blast somebody out of a spot unless you have a spell or other effect.

I don't understand this sentence. The rule for the Red (Sorcery) Mages is:

"When placing a Sorcery Mage, you may spend 1 mana to Wound a Mage and take their slot."

Therefore, with a Red Mage you CAN blast someone out of spot without a spell or other effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983

More
17 Aug 2015 19:28 #208710 by Michael Barnes
Hang on, make way for the Editor in Chief...

"IF you don't take any red guys..."
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
17 Aug 2015 19:32 #208711 by ubarose

Michael Barnes wrote: Hang on, make way for the Editor in Chief...

"IF you don't take any red guys..."

LOL. Thanks. I feel much less stupid now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds