October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Firefly the game

More
11 Sep 2017 20:20 #254082 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Firefly the game
I've only played once, and I think my big issue is that it's just too similar to two stone-cold masterpieces (Merchant of Venus and Merchants & Marauders, natch) for me to bother with it too much. It'd be different if I were a bigger fan of the show, but it's more of a mild enjoyment for me than something that could elevate a decent game.

I wouldn't turn down another game, but knowing me I'd probably just use it as a springboard to get my opponents to try one of the other games I mentioned.

I'm not a big fan of GF9's expansion model. Chasing down small expansions is a big ol' hassle when you didn't get in on the ground floor, so huge product lines like this are generally a hard sell for me. Same problem with a lot of FFG games, like Eldritch Horror.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2017 03:54 #254087 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re: Firefly the game

Shellhead wrote:

engineer Al wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: If someone placed the Cutter there knowing it would keep Al from winning I'm not seeing the problem. I would do it to him too so I could have time to catch up.

Absolutly true. It wasn't placing the cutter there that was a problem, it was that players could conspire to keep it there indefinately, greatly extending the length of the game. Given this realization and the fact that we had already been playing for four hours and it was getting past our bedtimes, we decided to "house rule" it. Upon further reflection I think that what this game really needs is some shorter scenarios so you can get in a game on a weeknight.

Maybe I missed a rule when I played, but how would the Reaver greatly delay the player going for his final job? The Reaver being there only affects you if you begin your turn in that space, so you could Fly and then Work the job the turn that you move there. Sure, the Reavers may kill your crew the following turn, but if it's your final job, you don't need that crew once you have done your last Misbehavin' and loaded your cargo/contraband..

Multiple Reaver ships to block or divert you and then the Operative's ship to cause more trouble for you.

More
12 Sep 2017 08:10 #254089 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic Firefly the game
I had the game with all the expansions. The main thing Pirates & Bounty Hunters adds is the ability to pick the little interceptor ship and try and beat the game chasing bounties instead of hauling- we never used the piracy missions either. The mini-expansion of additional cards is pretty essential. By the time we added Kalidasa, I felt the game was too big with too much stuff going on.

The best improvement in the game came from Blue Sun, which is the alert tokens (alliance and reaver) which let you mess with other players more, that are used in the "Any Port in a Storm" basic mission. You also get a personal haven planet where you can refuel for free. A 200% increase in the number of reaver ships helped also.

With two of us playing, we would take 70-80 minutes for a full game to $12,000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Sep 2017 08:38 #254090 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Firefly the game
^that's quick, nice.

More
12 Sep 2017 08:45 #254091 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Firefly the game
As people said, I just saw no reason to play this instead of Merchants and Marauders or Merchant of Venus unless you jizz over references to Jayne's hat.

More
12 Sep 2017 09:01 #254093 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Firefly the game

Legomancer wrote: As people said, I just saw no reason to play this instead of Merchants and Marauders or Merchant of Venus unless you jizz over references to Jayne's hat.

Nah. There's a push your luck element in this game that's fun. The flying bores me, but the missions can be exciting. Sometimes you just get shut down, other times you pull off something absurd. Often you need some piece of equipment that you've had since the beginning of the game that's been worthless, that suddenly gets you out of one hell of a jam. There's nothing in Merchants & Marauders or Merchant of Venus that's doing that kind of thing.

My concern is that everyone wants to play it with all the expansions (my buddy bought them as a set at Gen Con last year) so the game has become a beast. That's the downfall for every game it's happened to save Talisman. Bloatware. I like keeping things a little simpler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
12 Sep 2017 10:54 #254103 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Firefly the game
This game has a table footprint that far exceeds it's game play value IMO. Once you add expansions it's like those all in games of ARHKAM HORROR.

More
12 Sep 2017 12:12 #254112 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Firefly the game
I only ever played with the base game and still found it to take up too much space for the payoff. Can't imagine adding more.

More
12 Sep 2017 14:49 #254129 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Firefly the game

Sagrilarus wrote:

Legomancer wrote: As people said, I just saw no reason to play this instead of Merchants and Marauders or Merchant of Venus unless you jizz over references to Jayne's hat.

Nah. There's a push your luck element in this game that's fun. The flying bores me, but the missions can be exciting. Sometimes you just get shut down, other times you pull off something absurd. Often you need some piece of equipment that you've had since the beginning of the game that's been worthless, that suddenly gets you out of one hell of a jam. There's nothing in Merchants & Marauders or Merchant of Venus that's doing that kind of thing.

My concern is that everyone wants to play it with all the expansions (my buddy bought them as a set at Gen Con last year) so the game has become a beast. That's the downfall for every game it's happened to save Talisman. Bloatware. I like keeping things a little simpler.

I'm in your boat, I get different shit out of Firefly than M&M (Merchants & Merchants unless you throw a few variants in), the jobs are mini adventures to work through and it is just a case of throwing yourself into the theme. I have all the non-ship expansions and we also don't worry with the piracy jobs (although I was boarded last game by someone bounty jumping me) but do mix and match boards and Stories depending on what we feel like, even choosing different ships can make the game interesting with different strategies going into play.
I actually find M&M to be a bit mechanical apart from the obvious battles, but few battles occur (apart from getting bounced by an NPC ship) as by the time you ship is buffed up enough for a reasonable chance of winning someone is usually close to winning from lucky trading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds