October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2653 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Warrior Knights and the Crown and Glory expansion

More
26 Jan 2008 14:38 #1470 by Citadel
I have been thinking about picking up Warrior Knights for ages. It was may favourite board game up until I was 16 and discovered Dune. I have been making a lot of excuses to not get it but now I read about the expansion I am sure I am going to buy it.

My question is should I get the base game only or should I get the expansion too. I have read people online saying that the expansion improves the game by making more aggressive strategies work better and making movement easier. I am pretty sure I will love the game so is it worth me starting out with the expansion and using it right from the first game?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2008 14:48 #1471 by Michael Barnes
Eh...I think the game is actually pretty fine without the expansion...the expansion adds a little more chrome, which is always welcome, but I'd say try it without first.

The main improvement you can make doesn't need the expansion... you really need to start with more armies than what it says and toss out that whole "play to x number of points per player" thing and just play until the entire supply runs out.

It's a fun game- sometimes it's even a great game, depending on the session, but I do kind of feel that some concessions were made in terms of accessibility and playtime that really kind of stunt the game's potential. There's a lot of brilliant parts though- the combat is awesome, the negotiation/political element is really cool, the expeditions are a neat gambling thing...lots of really cool thematic material to enjoy overall. Need to play it again soon...

More
26 Jan 2008 18:37 #1479 by KingPut
Barnes is right. The expansion is great and we now always play with it all the time but it's not necessary. Start with the new basic game and then if you like it enough add in the expansion.

We added 2 other house rules that are great. First is the accelerated start. At the beginning of the game when you place your knight on a small city/castle you automatically get that castle. This save a lot time laying siege or raiding your first neutral castle and helps to speed up the game to fun part which is attacking each other. The 2nd rule change is accelerated movement. Rather than moving 1 on non-roads and 3 on roads we play 2 movement on non-roads and 5 on roads. This makes the game more chaotic and fun where everyone can attack each other more easily.

More
27 Jan 2008 03:58 #1498 by Mr Skeletor
Great game. Great expansion.

More
27 Jan 2008 11:35 #1507 by bfkiller
I thought the expansion made a huge improvement over the base game. Whereas the base game by itself seemed overly bloated and in need of some streamlining, I think the additions in the expansion justifies the complexity of the game as the added chrome fleshes out the atmosphere. The base game feels like a smaller game stretched out past its limits to make it a big game. With the expansion, it feels like a big game.

Having said all that, you'd probably want to play with just the base game by itself a few times to acclimate yourself to the core rules before adding in the expansion.

More
27 Jan 2008 12:29 #1509 by ubarose
This thread is making me want to play Warrior Knights. I agree that you should play a couple of games without the expansion just to nail down the rules and the mechanics. But after that, you will probably want to add the expansion, or at least pieces of it. The first time I played was a learning game with the expansion. It was long and confusing, but I loved the game and bought it. After playing my own copy of the game, I was like "Hey, this isn't as cool as what I remembered." So I called my friend, and he told me that we had played with the expansion - duh.

The big difference, for me, is that the expansion adds the option of purchasing tech advancements, like siege engines and other cool stuff. I'm a sucker for any game that has some kind of leveling up/tech advancement aspect.

It is also possible to only play with parts of the expansion, so you can really customize the game to your liking.

More
27 Jan 2008 21:22 #1532 by Citadel
I think I will just try the base game first. I think I might need to come back and ask about how many starting armies and other house rules that are worth using. I think I'll need to read through the rules first to work out what you mean. Thanks.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds