October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Pimp my game: War on Terror

More
24 Jan 2008 04:17 #1346 by Dogmatix
I recently picked up a copy of War on Terror. As a bonus, I recently hooked up with a group of players who will be perfect for the game--right mix of humor, schadenfreude, and a dash of Euro-brow-furrowing stategery-ic [or however the Prez would say it] thinking. I'm hoping to break this title out with the crowd this Saturday and can't wait.

However, for those of you who've seen the game, you know that the bits are, well, Euro-bland. They aren't cubes, but they're kinda close.

Thanks to Scott's unfortunate Mandarin Chicken Incident, I've scored a set of Supremacy mushroom clouds, but I'd like some ideas to 'trash up this grand title a bit. Sort of slowly create a version of WoT that would make FFG or some other "Coffin Box" game maker proud...

Any thoughts on proper empire and terrorist figures/tokens that could be introduced into the game? Perhaps the oil wells from King Oil? Dunno...looking for some thoughts here.

So, put on your Monsters Menace America meets TI:3 hats and offer up some thoughts on bits that could be scavenged or purchased to pimp this title up some. Any suggestions would be welcome...

(On an unrelated note, it struck me that sitting down with a group of complete strangers to play games for the first time bore a horrible resemblance to a blind date. Fortunately the group seemed to gel well, but there was that weird awkward pause at the end of the night wondering if I "passed the audition" and would be invited back for another 'round.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2008 10:00 #1359 by Michael Barnes
Why do you need to "pimp a game" that has an Evil Balaclava in it, let alone an on-the-board spinner?

Nah, I know what you mean...the pieces are kinda crap. The Supremacy mushroom clouds are a must but I'm not sure how you'd find good bits for the differentsettlement/terrorist levels.

Definitely don't play the game with folks you don't know, it requires a certain degree of intimacy to be really fun...remember, this was the game that put me face-to-face with a real, live Fun Murderer.

More
24 Jan 2008 10:20 #1360 by Rliyen
The only thing I can think of, besides the Supremacy clouds, is 6mm figures. Link to Mujahadin Infantry. $10 (not including shipping) nets you 60+ fighters.

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/tw1.html

I'm using 6mm to pimp up my copy of Dune. I found some sci-fi 6mm minis that are perfect for Sardukar/Harkonnen/Atreides troops. I just need to find adequate pieces in the same format for the Guild, Fremen, and Sisterhood.

More
24 Jan 2008 10:54 #1369 by NeonPeon
Speaking of game pimping, anyone even slightly interested in Magic Realm needs to check this out - www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/257164

More
24 Jan 2008 11:43 #1376 by Malloc
You could use the cities from SM Civ. i think there is more than one size to those things... the early shitty eagle game shad many salvagable bits.

-M

More
24 Jan 2008 13:10 #1391 by Dogmatix
Rliyen wrote:

The only thing I can think of, besides the Supremacy clouds, is 6mm figures. Link to Mujahadin Infantry. $10 (not including shipping) nets you 60+ fighters.

http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/tw1.html

I'm using 6mm to pimp up my copy of Dune. I found some sci-fi 6mm minis that are perfect for Sardukar/Harkonnen/Atreides troops. I just need to find adequate pieces in the same format for the Guild, Fremen, and Sisterhood.

Thanks for the link. 6mm figures should be exactly the right size.

And, Barnes, I know what you mean re: the Fun Murders. Our night started with a round of Age of Gods, which really has some high potential with a good group. However, there were some in the bunch [apparently also new to the group] who didn't seem to embrace the potential fun elements of that game [talk shit, bluff some folks into crushing your enemies rather than "sponsored" races, and then bet on the outcome]. I thought it might be me as this was the first time playing the game, but the 2 toughest of the lot left the table at games end to play...Age of Steam. Then I knew it wasn't me. The remaining bunch moved on into Duel of Ages.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds